Rail travel forms a critical part of the lives of many people whether it be for getting to work, attending business engagements, meeting up with friends and family, or simply to explore new places. Helping to shape the future of rail travel for all users, connecting communities, generating economic growth and delivering a sustainable and environmentally friendly means of transportation is critical. Customer expectations are higher than ever, and they are increasingly unforgiving to those who fail them.
Steer is a market leader in the provision of specialist rail advisory services to clients across the globe with a proven track record of delivering innovative and powerful solutions to the most complex projects. For nearly 40 years we have demonstrated unparalleled success on the most challenging, exciting and high-profile rail projects. Our ambition is to continue to provide clients with high quality advice through our industry knowledge, thought leadership, strategic understanding and technical excellence in a dynamic and ever-changing marketplace.
Our staff comprise planners, economists, designers, financial modelers, engineers and technical specialists. In combination, these disciplines provide us with the breadth and depth to deliver integrated and innovative solutions across the rail sector for commercial transactions (including passenger rail concessions), ridership forecasting, economic impact analysis, strategic and business planning, operational evaluation and service planning, O&M cost estimation, performance analysis, station planning, business cases and financial feasibility assessments, project governance and assurance, project delivery, strategic rail engineering and rolling stock procurement.
We believe in providing honest and impartial advice through a close client-consultant relationship to ensure an open, transparent debate on the optimum solutions to complex problems.
How we can help you
We advise public and private sector clients including governments at all levels, planning agencies, rail operators, infrastructure owners, regulatory bodies, financial institutions, and concessionaires around the world. We work with colleagues across our business, and engage with partners as appropriate, to offer a full range of services to meet the needs of our clients. Our core offer includes:
Strategic Railway Planning and Investment
- Passenger rail vision and strategy
- Developing business cases and economic impact analyses
- Conducting financial analysis and ridership forecasting
- Planning rail services, stations, and service integration
- Ticketing, revenue and fare strategies and commercial planning
- Project governance, assurance and delivery
- Commercial assessments including identifying funding options
- Supporting public and private sector rail stakeholders in procuring railroad operators, rolling stock, and infrastructure
- Operation and maintenance cost planning
- Due diligence and technical advice
Regulation and Acquisition
- Developing regulations, policies, and standards for the rail sector
- Supporting the sale or purchase of railroads and technical due diligence