To maximize the commercial viability of services and minimize required subsidies, it is important for operators to ensure that they collect fares from customers in a fair, consistent and cost-effective way.
Whether it be rail, light rail, tram or bus network, we have extensive experience in designing and implementing programs to meet client objectives. Our team can support clients in:
- Designing analytical programs and surveys to enable an independent assessment of network-wide levels of ticketless and irregular travel and quantify the associated revenue at risk.
- Designing evidence-based strategies and plans to support the collection of passenger revenues and enable monitoring against targets.
- Developing revenue protection plans as part of proposals or business plans, including the benefits of automatic gating, and developing commercial incentive mechanisms as part of service specifications.
We have implemented our methodology on rail, tram and bus networks and have undertaken over 50 surveys across these modes. Our survey methodology provides a basis for the UK Department of Transport’s approach to monitoring obligations regarding ticketless travel on its rail franchises. A key characteristic of our approach is that it is undertaken by independent surveyors (although could be delivered by operator staff) using our customized ‘App’ that can be tailored to a client’s specific ticketing policies and requirements.
How we can help you
We work with transportation authorities and operators to design and deliver surveys and assessments of revenue at risk from ticketless and irregular travel and ticket fraud. We are experienced at integrating this work into business and other plans and monitoring programs, evaluating the potential benefits of different approaches to enforcement, including automatic gating and manual inspections. Our core offer includes:
- Survey design and implementation
- Ticketless travel program design and monitoring
- Revenue protection strategy and planning