A business case demonstrates that a project is a justified investment, the best overall solution to meeting an identified demand and can be successfully delivered. A compelling business case is essential to justify public sector funding and secure delivery. Business cases can also be revisited with a post implementation evaluation to understand if the delivered investment realized the intended benefits.
Our team develops business cases and undertakes evaluations for transportation and other projects of all scales, complexities and stages of development. Our team has also supported as expert advisors and witnesses for the procurement and delivery of major projects.
Recognizing the uniqueness of each project, our approach to business cases and evaluation goes beyond the ‘usual’. We apply our in-depth understanding of relevant best practice, guidance and the principles which underpin them, for example, changing approaches to valuing important carbon impacts. Our insight into project funding and delivery requirements enables us to develop cases that clearly communicate project impact and requirements to decision makers. This allows us to develop and apply approaches most suited to each project and its impacts. This approach has secured funding and supported delivery for landmark projects around the world.
How we can help you
We work closely with our clients, often within a multi-disciplinary team, to develop business cases that advance complex projects. We support the public sector with securing development and delivery funding, and the private sector with applications for public sector funding, often for development-supportive infrastructure. Our core offer includes:
- Leading the business case development process – including assurance and assessment
- Establishing the need for intervention, including shaping and developing underlying strategic arguments and application of the "theory of change"
- Developing economic narrative and conducing wider economic impact assessments
- Conducting market research, quantitative and qualitative data collection
- Forecasting demand, revenue, social and economic benefits
- Conducting cost benefit analysis and value for money appraisal
- Developing funding and financing options
- Supporting funding bids
- Developing delivery and operating powers applications and support, including expert witness provision
- Monitoring and evaluation of benefits realization